Help Design a New Addition to the Refuge
The Friends are putting together a proposal for a new Nature Play Area at Assabet River NWR called Fort Assabet. We are looking for volunteers
to help with the proposal (and construction!).
Permanently connect kids to nature and unleash their creative imaginations and
problem solving skills, by providing an outdoor learning environment that will
empower them to design and build their own idea of a nature play area. They will
have the ownership and responsibility to continuously maintain and improve the
nature play area. They will learn how to interact with their peers, to lead and/or to
follow. This will keep them coming back again and again, to develop a lifetime
value of nature and empower them to learn more than they would in a classroom.
- Improve Independent Social Communication Skills.
- Engineering/Planning– Critical thinking Skills, where should they build things, be
ready for snow, rain, and wind.
- Math and Science Skills
- Resource Economic skills - see first hand, the basic values of environmental
tradeoffs of the FORT vs. conservation.
- Animal/Plant identification- through tracks, trail cameras, sound, observation.
- Writing Skills – note taking, event logs, activity journals, posting progress,
accomplishments, failures, facebook photography posting.
- Leadership Skills – who decides to do what and where. What rules are needed, if
any? Will they be revised as needs change?
- Determine their own and shared physical limitations to regulate their own
- Change the World!
Needs: (To be determined by Parent Steering Committee and Refuge
Management Coordination - over time, nothing will be cast in stone!)
- 3 thru 11 year old kids. (Older?)
- Decent size area to maintain – One acre?
- Parent observation, encouragement and support, but no help in planning design,
building or maintenance. Obvious safety management.
- Create a parent/kid planning committee, lead by kids.
- Determine hours of operations – 24x7x365? with camping availability?
If you are interested in helping, you an sign up at Facebook Groups Fort Assabet.
Help the Friends
The Friends need your help with tasks large and small. Whether you have a couple of hours to offer once in a while or several hours on a weekly basis we welcome your help, talent
We particulary need help with the following:
- Nature Store Volunteers: Want to meet happy, nature-loving refuge visitors? Want to help the Friends and the Refuge?
Picture yourself chatting with people in our lovely Nature Store.
All it takes is one weekend day a month from 10AM – 4PM.
The environment is relaxed and friendly. Very simple to use cash register. All you need to do is bring a smile!
This is a great time to get involved as cooler autumn days bring more people into the store.
The store is a completely non-profit operation, whole run by the Friends of the Asssabet River NWR. All proceeds benefit the Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge.
All training provided. No experience necessary. Hours negotiable! Please call Betsy Griffin at 978-793-2756 for information.
Computer Data Entry Volunteer: The Friends are in need of occasional data entry to maintain our membership records. No special skills required.
Some work can be done at home, some on the Friends computer at the Visitor Center. Most tasks will only take an
hour or less. Training will be provided.
We really need your help!
Please contact Liz Truebenbach if you'd like to help!
We also need help with the following tasks, but feel free to contact us if you have other skills you'd like to
volunteer. Unless noted, please email us if you'd like to help!
- Invasive Plant Removal on the Refuge with Assabet Pulling Together. Please email APT@truebenbach.com if you can help.
- Organize/Oversee educational programs for adults/children – we’d welcome your ideas!
- Lead or coordinate nature walks – share your knowledge!
- Lead bicycle or snowshoe events – share your passion!
- Help with grant applications including concept development, application writing,
follow-up reports. There are many opportunities to explore.
- Assist with outreach:
- Coordinate community events such as Hudson Fest, Maynard Farmer’s Market, Earth Days at Lincoln Labs
- Coordinate refuge events such as monthly meetings, nature walks, art classes, the possibilities are endless!
- Write articles for our website. If we can establish flow of material, it would be great to have a FARNWR Facebook page.
- Assist with membership:
- Help screen volunteers – chat with people interested in volunteering. No cold calls.
- Membership mailings and database – computer skills appreciated. We use MailChimp and Access.
- Perform occasional data entry to maintain our membership records. No special skills required. Some work can be done at home, some on the Friends computer at the visitor center. Most tasks will only take an hour or less.
- Assist with financial audits – we need a qualified volunteer to audit our accounts.
Please email us if you'd like to help!